One of Seamwork’s July releases is Killian, this adorable button-up dress with patch pockets. Buttons are always the bane of my sewing existence, so I’ve challenged myself to start sewing them more. This pattern is perfect for this challenge. In addition to the buttons, Killian features waist and bust darts, patch pockets and a gathered skirt. Paired with this adorable Dashwood Studio Cotton Poplin fabric that I received from Minerva, I sewed up what I’m now calling my “Candy Killian”! Firstly, the fabric design reminds me of candy sprinkles that you would use to decorate cakes and ice creams. Secondly, the large patch pockets give you ample room to store your candy stash! And lastly, I was eating some yummy candy while getting dressed to take these pictures .
Honestly, Killian was a breeze to sew. I know that a few people had issues with tightness in the armholes and sleeves, but as someone who often sews smaller arm pieces, I had no problems. The only hack/adjustment I made was to decrease the width of the waist darts by half. I think I completed most of this dress in one day of sewing. To machine sew the buttonholes and hand sew the buttons (I know my machine can sew on buttons, but I prefer to hand sew) took another day. I used simple plastic 5’8 inch buttons from my stash. It’s a great, easy to wear dress that feels casual and playful, while still looking put together.
Now for my candy inspiration – the fabric! This Dashwood Studio Cotton Poplin fabric features a multicolor confetti design on a navy background. The fabric is medium weight and completely opaque. The color stayed bright and softened slightly after laundering. Like most cotton poplin, it was easy to sew with and I had no snagging or fraying. It ironed really well and although it’s not wrinkle-resistant, a steamy iron is all you need to get rid of any annoying wrinkles. Because of all the colors, the hardest part of working with this fabric was deciding which color button to choose! I went back and forth between light blue, pink and yellow. I even polled my friends for their color preference. Ultimately, I chose a greenish yellow button, and it looks great!
All in all, this was a great pattern and I’m excited to make the member bonus pattern, which has billowing long sleeves, when the temperature drops!